Saturday, February 1, 2014

The PSE and Coping With Stress

                                                                    The PSE

    What is the PSE?  The PSE is the Primary School Assessment given to Standard Six students in Belize.  Students in Belize must take the PSE in order to get into a high school.  My primary mission in Belize is to interpret for Sulmi in her regular classroom.  I also provide extra teaching/tutoring in order to help her be as prepared as possible for the PSE.
     Each day brings more practice problems in Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies.  At times the amount of vocabulary, and the fast pace at which the information is being presented, can be overwhelming.
Mr. Valdez explaining information on the worksheet.









From the door looking into the classroom.
My corner of the room.  










                                                                   Coping With Stress

     Having an hour and a half lunch break every day gives me a chance to get away from the stress of the classroom.  Most days Feronia and I head home for lunch and then back to school for the rest of the day.  Feronia has been a good companion as we travel around town together.  She has had some health issues.  I had to replace one of her pedals and one of her tire tubes but she helps me get some freedom and exercise at the same time.
Feronia, my traveling companion


     Over the past two years, running has become a part of my life.  I have never seen myself as a runner.  I did not enjoy running.  Over the past two years I have enjoyed the many friendships I have made, and the many races, bagel runs and challenge runs I have participated in.  I did not think that I would be able to run in Belize but I have been blessed with some amazing women who are willing to wake up early a couple of days a week, and start their day with a run/walk. 
This is the beginning of our .6 mile loop.





Running/Walking Partner Nancy
Running/Walking Partner Chelsea













     The beauty of God's creation that Belize has to offer has taken my breath away on several occasions.  One day I was surprised when I walked out my front door.  I looked up and was awed by the vibrant colors of a double rainbow.  I have also been blown away by the beauty of the sunrises/sunsets.













      Chelsea and I took a day trip to Corozal.   We found a much needed oasis at Blue's Restaurant.  We were able to have a nice quiet lunch, enjoy the view of the Caribbean, walk around the lush gardens enjoying the many varieties of plants and flowers and even took a short nap on the swing/glider.  We were each "reading a book" and fell asleep for a short time.

This flower came from one bud.


Reading before the nap

     This week, One of my friends on facebook posted a link that introduced me to Michael Pollack, a 19 year old student at Vanderbilt University.  He is an amazing artist and I was wowed by his talent.  Michael wrote the following song titled "Chances Are" :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiy8yUpNIBA.    It really resonated with me and what God has asked me to do with my life for the next six months.  The Chorus is as follows:   You may be alive but are you living? I promise you the two are not the same.  Never hesitate to take what's given, cause chances are this chance won't come again.                                                                                                                                                                              
     At the end of the song, Michael sings that "you have to find the strength somehow."  The opportunity for me to come to Belize was the chance I felt God was giving me to serve Him.  God gave me the strength I needed to make the decision to come.  I followed in faith believing God would take are of all of my needs and worries.  God is good...All the time.  I am excited to find out all God has in store for me and for the people I am blessed to meet and work with during my time in Belize.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment